Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Why the New Look?

After more than two years of being in business with my original logo and branding, I decided it was time for change. There were a few things that were bothering me and I wanted to improve upon.
For one, I thought the black background that I used in most of my marketing didn’t really feel like me. It was too harsh. I am earthier and I believe that brown was a much better way to go. However, I definitely wanted to stick with the turquoise and lime green. If you know me well, you know that these two colors are my favorites and I couldn’t go wrong in using them.
I was also not pleased with the thickness of the pinwheel in my logo. When scaled down to a small size the arms of the pinwheel were very thin and sometimes disappeared. I did want to stick with the pinwheel design to represent “spinning the creative wheels.” I adjusted the shape of the arms and made them thicker.
And, then, there was my biggest mistake of all – “EF Designs”. I thought that using my initials was smart and that it would work better for a more compact logo. No. I really should have started out using my full name right from the start. I am not “EF”- I am “Emily Fogelman”. Using my full name on EVERYTHING makes ME more memorable and that is the most important thing.
I also significantly changed the fonts. I tried to invoke a more personal feel in my new logo with the use of a script/handwritten font for my name. The font used for “DESIGN” was meant to compliment the pinwheel and to set itself apart from my name.  

Overall, I am very pleased with my new branding and my new website.  Everyone needs a makeover every once in awhile!

No comments:

Post a Comment